Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Man Shot Dead While Beating A Young Girl

19-Year-Old Evansville Man Killed By Relative Of Victim
Re-printed from a story at The Courier Press on December 24th 2012

A man saves his grand-daughters life by to killing her attacker. Photo by Denny Simmons and The Courier Press.

EVANSVILLE, IN. — A 79-year-old Evansville man shot and killed a 19-year-old who was attacking and beating his granddaughter, Evansville Police said in a news release.

Davon Obryant Gee was pronounced dead at a home in the 500 block of South Denby Avenue on Sunday night December 23rd 2012, according to the Vanderburgh County Coroner's Office.

The name of man who shot and killed Gee has not been released by police because the man has not been charged with a crime, according to city police officials. As the press time for this article no charges have been filed. It is presumed that this is a justifiable Homicide due to the nature of the incident.

Local police said Gee got into an argument with a 17-year-old girl at the Denby Avenue home on Sunday evening. Gee threatened to assault the girl and to use a "stun gun" on her.

She ran from the house but Gee chased her down, catching her in the yard and beating her. The girl's 79-year-old grandfather, who was in the house, came outside to help her. He told Gee to quit beating the girl.

According to witnesses, Gee then threatened to use the stun gun on the grandfather. Reaching into his pocket, he approached the 79-year-old who told him several times to stop.

The grandfather told police he feared he could not defend himself against the bigger, younger attacker and that he feared the stun gun would kill him due to a heart condition. When the man kept approaching, witnesses said, the grandfather pulled out a handgun and fired one shot. Gee ran into a neighboring yard and collapsed.

When police arrived, they attempted life-saving measures but the man died at the scene.

The gun was recovered inside the grandfather's house. The stun gun was recovered from Gee's pocket. Gee was also currently being sought by police with an active warrant for his arrest during the time of this incident.

Investigators will complete a case file and forward it to the Vanderburgh County Prosecutor's Office for review.

Gee died from cardiac arrhythmia and exsanguination (fatal blood loss) due to a gunshot to the chest, according to a report from the Vanderburgh County Coroner's Office. An autopsy was performed Monday morning.

WTHR Channel 13, Police say man killed granddaughter's attacker
Courier Press, Man Found Slain
Facebook, Davon Obryant Gee